Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Hamburger Stew or Stone Soup

Okay, this hardly warrants a recipe, I guess, b/c it's so self explainatory, but I love this in the Fall and sometimes I forget about it, so it's nice to have in our recipe book! My mom makes this and they have even made it a youth activity where everyone brings whatever ingredient they want to add to the soup. I've always wanted to make in in conjunction with reading "Stone Soup" to my kiddos when they're old enough. Here goes:

1 1/2-2 lbs Hamburger
3-4 Carrots
5-6 Potatoes
1/2 Onion
3 Stalks Celery
Lots of Salt and Pepper to taste.

Brown the Hamburger in a large skillet with salt and pepper. Then add vegetables--I've listed my favorite, but whatever you like and however much you want will do! Add water for the broth and cook until the veggies are soft. You will want to add lots of salt and pepper for taste. You can also thicken the broth with flour or cornstarch, but I like it clear. I love being able to taste all the vegetables without alot of extra spice.

No comments: