Thursday, April 28, 2011

Curried Cauliflower Soup

A few weeks ago I went to a great restaurant in town. They had an amazing Curries Broccoli soup, so as soon as I came home I had to find a recipe that was similar. And yes I know this is cauliflower, not broccoli, however I had all of the ingredients on hand so I made this and boy am I glad. So first here's the actual recipe I found, then I'll tell you all what I added and did different!

Ingredients

  • 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
  • 1 onion, cut into chunks
  • 3 cloves garlic, halved
  • 5 cups vegetable stock
  • 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
  • 1 tablespoon curry paste

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Place the cauliflower, onion, and garlic on a baking sheet, and bake in preheated oven until golden brown, about 30 minutes.
  2. Bring vegetable stock, coconut milk, and curry paste to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add the roasted vegetables, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. Carefully puree the soup in a blender until it has reached your desired consistency, serve, and enjoy!

* I use Patak's curry paste, since I don't like the flavor of Thai curry paste. I find it at Cost Plus World Market.


Okay so now for my changes, lol. A while ago I posted my Coconut Curry Chicken which is really similar, so I kind of merged the two.

1) I steamed the cauliflower and the onion instead of roasted. A friend roasted hers and said it didn't add any extra flavor so it's up to you. Once it was done I blended it in the blender with the broth will it was smooth.

2) I marinated chicken in the curry paste like in the chicken recipe, then I sauteed it in the soup pot till done.

3) Next I poured the rest of the ingredients into the soup pot, including the pureed cauliflower and onions, and stirred. Then I also added matchstick carrots to the mix., and simmer it all.

It was so similar to the flavor and texture of the soup I had that I think next time I make it I'll also add finely chopped broccoli with the carrots.