Thursday, September 18, 2008

Here's what we had for dinner tonight!

Tonight I made Cube steak and mashed cauliflower.  It was so good.

Cube Steak

This recipe started, as a recipe from Andy's Grandma, but it's changed a little over time.  I listed her original amounts, but I just dump until the total liquid just covers the cube steaks.

2-4 steaks (I've always used cube steak)
1 c water ( I use apple juice or plain soda)
1 c catsup
1/4 c vinegar
2 tbs brown sugar
2 tbs Worcestershire sauce
1 tbs mustard

These are also in her recipe but I've never added them to mine.
2 tbs onion, chopped
2 tbs green pepper, chopped

My cooking instructions:

Brown steaks in skillet (one that you have a lid for), when browned on both sides remove from skillet.  Mix remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer.  Return steaks to skillet and simmer till steaks are done.  If desired remove steaks and thicken sauce with a little corn starch mixed with water, to make gravy.  

Grandma's cooking instructions:

Brown steaks if desired.  Mix other ingredients and bring to a boil in a sauce pan.  Pour over steak in a baking dish and bake at 325 for 1 to 2 hours. 

This just seemed like over kill to me,  I bet this would work in the crockpot though!



Cheesy Mashed Cauliflower

1 head cauliflower or 1 bag frozen cauliflower florets

Cook cauliflower till very soft, I steamed my fresh cauliflower for about 15 - 20 minutes.  Drain well!

If you have a food processor put cooked cauliflower in that, I used my blender, but some people use potatoe mashers in the pan.

Add 1 cup grated cheese (or more if you like) and about 1/3 to a 1/2 cup sour cream.  Blend, mash, whatever until about the consistancy of mashed potatoes.  If it gets to thin you can thicken with a little bit of instant potato flakes.  In fact you can also just add these at the begining to to get a little more of a mashed potato feel.  Salt and pepper to taste.   

I also put it back in the pan and on the burner, or zap it in the microwave a little to reheat it after blending it.

a couple variations:

  • milk or cream instead of sour cream
  • feta or crumbled blue cheese instead of chedder
  • one recipe I saw suggested adding a little dill
  • and ultra healthy is chicken broth instead of any dairy and (horror) no cheese

No comments: