Thursday, October 02, 2008

Really Good Hashbrowns

I have to give a little back story!  A couple years after my husband and I married, our names were given to Andy's Uncle Charlie and Aunt Debbie in the Christmas Gift Drawing.  That year we were staying in in Nevada so out gift was mailed to us.  I was a little shocked to have gotten 2 cases  of dried hashbrown potaotes.  It turns out that these are THE gift to get in the family, and after tasting them I understood.    The brand is Nonpareil, and they come in what look like school milk cartons.  They are already seasoned and you just rehydrate them before cooking.  They are hard to find here (only at Winco) but they do have a website www.buyhashbrowns.com.

I took this to a lot of Mom's group brunches!   When we have it at home I usually serve it with eggs.


Here's what I do with them!

1 container of hashbrowns, rehydrated
1 small onion, diced
1/2 to 1 green bell, chopped
1 ham steak chopped (great use for leftover ham)
about 1  cup shredded cheese (I use chedder)

In a skillet heat about 1-2 tbls of olive oil, add hashbrowns, onions, pepper and ham.
Saute until the hashbrowns are as crisp as you wish.
Shortly before serving top with shredded cheese.  Leave on heat just until cheese is melted.

**this keeps well in a warm oven.

No comments: