Friday, January 04, 2008

Catalan Tortilla

I was flipping through The Totally Garlic Cookbook that my friend Jessica gave me years ago and this recipe gave me the perfect opportunity to chip away at my 15 pound bag of yukon gold potatoes, my healthy supply of garlic, and the onions I needed to use before they go bad. It was so good and it was quite different from what we normally eat. So here's the recipe!

Catalan Tortilla (it has nothing to do with torillas - it's actually an omelette)

Olive Oil
3 medium baking potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
10 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
1 small onion, thinly sliced
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
8 eggs, lightly beaten

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Coat medium baking dish (I did a large baking dish) lightly with olive oil. Arrange alternating layers of potato slices, garlic, onion, and salt and pepper to taste, drizzling each layer lightly with olive oil. Bake 45 minutes, stirring several times (I timed it to go off every 15 minutes so I wouldn't forget to stir). Remove from oven and stir to separate.

In large heavy skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add potato mixture in even layer. Pour eggs over potatoes. Cook over medium-high heat, shaking skillet to prevent sticking. When eggs are set around edges, slide omelet out onto plate, loosening edges and bottom, if necessary, with spatula. Place another plate on top and invert. Add 1 teaspoon olive oil to skillet. When hot, slide omelet back into pan and cook 1 minute longer. Cut into wedges to serve.

I don't have a good stove or pan for making omelettes, so I ended up scrambling it. Doesn't really matter because I don't think it changes the taste. Omelettes just look prettier. I decided this dish makes a good breakfast or dinner. The ingredients are pretty healthy too! I added a little fresh parmesan cheese and that made it extra yummy. I hope you try it and like it! :) Also, my yukon potatoes are pretty small so I ended up using 6 instead of 3 as the recipe calls for. I love it when I find a new dish to add to my favorites!

No comments: