Sunday, October 15, 2006

Genaura's Apple Crumble

This is the most amazingly easy and delicious apple recipe I've ever tried. My family is addicted to pie but they have a hard time deciding between apple pie and apple crumble. We grow our own Lodi apples and prepare them for pies by peeling, slicing, and seasoning them(we use flour, sugar, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg and salt). Then we line pie plates with two long strips of foil and pour enough apples into each plate to make a generous pie. Fold the foil over the top of the apples, freeze the "pies", dump the frozen goodies into a gallon freezer bag and then when you need a wonderful desert fast, dump the frozen glob into a prepared piecrust or a casserole dish and make crumble or crisp. For this crumble I place the frozen apples into the skillet that came with my cookware set (I think it's 12"). I double the crumble ingredients when making crumble with one of our prepared pies.
4 Cups sliced, peeled apples
1/4 Cup sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp water
Cook in saucepan until apples soften and sauce begins to thicken (I've never actually done this because I always use our prepared pies from the freezer).
1 Cup flour
1/2 Cup sugar
1 Cup cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 Cup butter, melted
Toss the crumble ingredients together until mixed. Cover the apples with crumble topping and cook until lightly browned (about an hour if you're using frozen apples, I'm sure it will be considerably shorter with fresh, cooked apples... I neglected to write that part of the recipe down). I cook this in a 350 degree oven.

No comments: