Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Quiche

I haven't posted for awhile, so I thought I better come up with somethin' good! Okay, here it is...probably the best recipe I have!

Quiche

Pastry Dough (see recipe below0
10 strips bacon crisped (altho I often just use ham, like the lunchmeat kind cuz I'm lazy)
1 1/4 C Cheese (whatever you like. Swiss, Guyere, Cheddar, whatever)
5 Eggs
1 C whipping Cream or Half and Half (I think I've used all milk when out of cream)
1/2 C Milk
1/4 tsp Salt
Pepper to taste
Nutmeg
1/4 of a small Onion (optional)
1/2 C Broccoli finely chopped (optional)

Roll out pastry dough and fit to 10 in. quiche pan. Pinch tears together with a sprinkle of water.
Scatter bacon, cheese, other desired ingredients into the shell.
Beat eggs, cream, milk, salt, pepper just until blended.
Place on lowest oven rack (or the crust will burn, don't ask how I know;).
Bake at 350 for 1 hr.
Quiche is slightly puffed and appears set when shaken.
Let stand 10 min. before cutting or cool adn serve at room temp.
Can be refrig for 2 days and served cold.
8-10 course servings or 6 main dish.

Pastry Dough
1 1/2 C Flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 C + 2 Tbsp Butter
1 egg

Cut butter into flour until it resembles fine crumbs. Add egg and stir with fork until dough holds together. Shape into a ball. Can be refrigerated 3 days. Bring to room temperature before using. Makes 1 1/2 cups (about enough for one quiche, I think).

No comments: